Handicap International Federation (HI) is an independent and impartial aid organization, created in 1982, working across 63 countries. HI works alongside vulnerable populations, whatever the context, taking action to respond to their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. Present in Nepal since 2000, HI works through a network of local partner organizations in the area of health and physical rehabilitation, inclusive education, and resilience including emergency response to improve the living conditions and involvement of the most vulnerable populations in Nepal.
Physical Rehabilitation Activity (PRA) is 6 yearly activity funded by USAID, which is aiming to integrate rehabilitation services into the Health System. The activity started in June 2019 and is working closely with government authorities, Disability People Organizations (DPOs); physiotherapy units in District hospitals; private rehabilitation services providers, and rehabilitation professional associations. PRA supports the establishment of a sustainable, integrated, public-private rehabilitation system in order to improve the mobility and functional independence of persons with physical disabilities and other individuals in need of rehabilitation services. It has three objectives: (1) the quality of rehabilitation services is strengthened, (2) access to rehabilitation services is increased and (3) the sustainability of the PRCs is strengthened.
- Facilitate training and capacity-building initiatives for P&O staffs of PRCs (Physical Rehabilitation Activity partners) through POS-Nepal
- Support and facilitate POS-Nepal in planning and organizing national conferences, seminars, workshops, etc.
- Support and facilitate POS-Nepal in the advocacy of the P&O profession in Nepal
- Supervise partner PRCs to ensure quality assistive device service delivery system, including support in RMS (Rehabilitation Management System)
- Participate actively in technical working groups created by LCDMS for developing the guidelines and protocol
- Ensure the integration of P&O services protocol in the guidelines
- Supervise and monitor the quality of assistive devices services in outreach activities conducted by the PRCs
- Support sustainability manager in developing coordination and collaboration between PRCs
- Support PRCs manager in planning and organizing outreach activities
- Provide technical support to PRCs for organizing outreach activities